Monday, June 2, 2014

2

"Do you believe in Karma?" The man was old,wrinkled, weary, but dressed well in a polo shirt he'd been wearing for a couple of days, jeans, and new donated shoes. He was in the same boat as me. Some people spend years wandering the street. I, only a couple of months. You would expect a forlorn sadness to eminate from him. Instead he wore a gentle smile. Even his eyes, that obviously carried years of wisdom and pain, had a  strange contentness about them. The kind of contentness I never intend to find for myself.

The kind that says, "I gave up a long time ago and am now happy with what little I have."

"I believe in Karma," I say, "but not in some mystical sense you might expect. I believe that one reaps what one sews." That's a sort of Karmic philosophy if you think about it. Another is 'What goes around comes around'. Nothing magical there either. It's just how life works.

I've always known these ideas to be true, but never paid much attention to them. I've reaped some terrible things, and some some terrible things have come around. I'd blow these off like they were no big deal. Never really learning anything from my mistakes. My ultimate sad reaping landed me on the streets of one of the most wonderful, but meanest cities in the world. And it cost me someone I love very dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment